Monday 11 November 2019

Social media is a scary place

Hello again!

  Social media? We're all familiar with it whether we like it or not. You're probably thinking right now "stop blathering, I already know what you are about to say", but bear with me for a second.

  Like any other person in the world I have been encountering struggles throughout my whole life, but never have I thought that social media would be one of them. However, recently I discovered how social media really affects you.


  I was going through a major shift in my life to which I didn't know how to react. I was questioning myself whether all of the plans I had were going to work out. The fact of unknown was so scary to me I was trying to run away from it and the place I went was — yes, you guessed it right — social media. To not think about my own life I chose to spend my days scrolling my timeline like there was no tomorrow. By constantly doing it I noticed some change. My mental health was suffering from seeing all of the flawless lives others have although I was fully aware that it's probably not true, but you can't just switch off your mind, can you? So basically I just constantly was seeing triggers that made me think about my so imperfect life even more. Why my life is so different? Why is it that I'm always the only one that's having problems? etc. etc. At that point, I was having a full blown mental breakdown. Each and every time I logged in on any of my social media accounts I was having almost a panic attack. Then I decided to leave.

  I decided that I was going to do something useful or something that was going to help me grow as a person rather than just sit in my room and whine. The next few weeks I focused on making myself feel better and eventually I did. Rather than observing others I tried to make something out of myself. I was feeling so much better because finally I had something under control. Like great band, Twenty One Pilots, said in their song 'Migraine': "I begin to assemble what weapons I can find, 'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind".

  Social media is just a waste of time, LITERALLY. Go to your Instagram account and click on 'Your Activity'. You will be surprised how much time you spend on your phone.

Thanks for reading and I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment